By: The Kumon Team
“When will I use math?” This question is often posed by students, who wonder how topics like factorization and algebra will play a role in their everyday lives. What many people don’t realize is that we use math in everyday activities like making purchases, tracking cellphone minutes, and even baking.
Looking for a few ways to motivate your child to enjoy math? Encourage him or her by discussing the importance of math for snagging potential dream jobs. Here are few ideas to get started:
• Animator. An animator uses linear algebra to show how an object is rotated and shifted and made larger and smaller.
• Computer Scientist. Creating the next generation of gadgets and apps involves more math than one may think. Theoretical studies of algorithms are just a small part of the process.
• Fashion Designer. Fashion designers use area, perimeter, and diameter as well as mathematical algorithms to create designs and calculate the amount and cost of fabric required.
• Astronaut. Astronauts use math to make precise mathematical calculations, from how a spacecraft leaves Earth’s atmosphere to how astronauts pilot the craft.
• Architect. Architects use math to calculate the square footage of rooms and buildings, to lay out floor space dimensions, and to calculate the required space for other areas such as parking, plumbing, etc.
Many careers require a solid foundation in mathematics. Whether your child dreams of becoming a math professor, research analyst, Pixar animator, or fashion designer, give him or her the tools needed to succeed. Ranging from basic counting to advanced calculus, the Kumon Math Program enhances problem solving techniques and improves mental calculation and reasoning skills—tools that can help your child find lifelong success.
Interested in Kumon’s math program? Check out all available NYC programs and locations here!
Author: Kidz Central Station
Founded by a NYC mom of two young children, Kidz Central Station uses technology to solve the problem so many busy parents face—how to find, book, and manage their children’s classes, camps, local family events, and birthday parties. Kidz Central Station offers more than 20,000 classes, camps, and birthday party options representing hundreds of NYC’s top activity providers. With a sophisticated search engine and class reviews, it is easy for parents to find the best classes for their children, sign up for a trial class, and directly enroll.