Rema Webb is a proud mother of two, and a doting grandmother of one. Rema is a 16 year Broadway veteran. Most recently Rema appeared in NBC’s The Sound of Music Live performance starring Carrie Underwood. Additional movie credits include: The Oksana Baiul Story, Sudden Death, Beloved, and First Born. She has been a member of Disney’s The Lion King since 1999 and is an Original cast member of Broadway’s The Book of Mormon. Recently Rema has been cast in Violet at Roundabout Theatre starring Sutton Foster. Her Broadway debut was in the 1998 production of Ragtime.
1) TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF—DESCRIBE YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR CAREER. WHAT CAUSED YOU TO START YOUR BUSINESS/BLOG/CAREER?
I have been performing professionally since the age of 15 with the Civic Light Opera Mini Stars. While pursuing a BA in Arts with a concentration in Vocal Performance and a Minor in Italian, I studied Classical Voice in the EPCASO Program located in Oderzo, Italy.
I started On Broadway Performing Arts Training Program, because I started to see the diminishing funding of Arts programs in NY Metro schools and I wanted to find a way to fill that void.
Because of my personal commitment to the Performing Arts… Because of my commitment to Mentoring young people… Because of my commitment to Education… I must share my experiences and help usher in newer generations of young students to be the best at whatever they decide to do in life.
2) SHARE YOUR SECRET TO BALANCING WORK AND FAMILY. IS THERE BALANCE?
My biggest challenge has been to surrender to believing that “In Balance there is no Balance” …You cant be everything to everyone. Sometimes you have to give more or less to family, job, career, friends. However Mornings are also the most sacred to me. This is the time that I get to spend with my son as I take him to school and life shows up.
3) WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE AND/OR GREATEST REWARD IN THE STRUGGLE FOR WORK/LIFE BALANCE?
My biggest challenge has been to not trip on the wonderful imaginary (Superwoman) cape that people seem to think they see flowing in the wind.
4) WHAT IS ONE THING YOU WISH YOU KNEW BEFORE YOU HAD KID(S), NOW THAT YOU ARE A MOTHER?
That there is no one thing I wish I had known…it’s all connected: There is no book on how to parent. There may be moments where great advice comes your way. However every family situation is very unique as per that family… because of how each individual is hard wired. That everyone involved is a work-in-progress. That consistency and remaining firmly grounded in your parenting are cardinal rules for me. That judgment and expectations can’t live in my home…only compassion and encouragement, combined with faith and prayer, can live there.
QUICK ANSWER Q’s:
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHILDREN’S BOOK? Where the Wild Things Are.
– WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE CLASS YOU ENJOYED WITH YOUR CHILD? My favorite class with my son has been Improv Class at On Broadway PATP. His instincts are so dead on and believable.
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS/FAMILY ON THE WEEKENDS? I love afternoon dates with my children. Lunch/brunch/dinner and a movie is a staple in our household.
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RAINY DAY ESCAPE? My favorite rainy day escape is everyone in my bed watching a movie with me. Or, pizza….TV off….Stereo on….and we dance til we drop!
Author: Kidz Central Station
Founded by a NYC mom of two young children, Kidz Central Station uses technology to solve the problem so many busy parents face—how to find, book, and manage their children’s classes, camps, local family events, and birthday parties. Kidz Central Station offers more than 20,000 classes, camps, and birthday party options representing hundreds of NYC’s top activity providers. With a sophisticated search engine and class reviews, it is easy for parents to find the best classes for their children, sign up for a trial class, and directly enroll.