The holidays are a wonderful time to relax, eat delicious food, and enjoy the company of family and friends, but the season can also bring additional stresses and safety hazards for your child. While we hope you have a safe and stress-free Thanksgiving and holiday season, we’d like to remind you about the resources that are available in the New York City area if you need them.
• Our family-focused KiDS Emergency Department, which is part of the Ronald O. Perelman Center for Emergency Services in New York City, is available for sudden illness or injury, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Along with a dedicated team of pediatric emergency medicine specialists, the KiDS Emergency Department offers a family-friendly waiting area with age-appropriate toys and activities for children, as well as child life specialists on hand to prepare and distract your child during treatment. The KiDS Emergency Department is located at 570 First Avenue in New York, New York.
• In addition, if you live in Brooklyn and the surrounding areas, the NYU Langone Cobble Hill Emergency Department, which also serves Sunset Park, is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for walk-in visits and ambulances. A team of board certified doctors, nurses, and support staff specializes in emergency medicine and can assist adults and children with urgent healthcare needs. NYU Langone-Cobble Hill is located at 83 Amity Street in Brooklyn, New York.
• NYU Langone’s Child Study Center offers a wide range of mental health services for children, adolescents, young adults, and families. Our experts can work with your family on a range of conditions such as learning disorders, mood disorders, anxiety, autism spectrum disorder, and more. Click here for more information.
• The Pediatric Gastroenterology Program can help your child with a range of gastrointestinal diseases, including celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders. Since dietary restrictions can be especially difficult during the holidays, their licensed social workers are available to provide supportive counseling to aid you in adjusting to your child’s diagnosis and offer strategies for dealing with social events where food is a factor.
• NYU Langone’s Pediatric GUARD (Gastroesophageal, Upper Airway, and Respiratory Diseases) Center provides a team approach to care for your child with issues that affect breathing, speaking, or swallowing. They’ll collaborate to decide the best treatment plan for conditions such as breathing noises, chronic cough, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and recurrent croup, among others.
Please dial 911 if your child is experiencing an emergency.
You can check out more services provided through NYU Langone’s Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital by visiting our website, or calling 855-698-5437.
We wish you and your family a happy holiday season!
Author: NYU Langone Medical Center
At Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital at NYU Langone, we understand that caring for infants, children, and teenagers is a special privilege. That’s why we partner with our young patients and their families to offer expert medical and surgical care. Our specialists treat children with conditions ranging from minor illnesses to complex, more serious issues at locations throughout the New York metropolitan area.